SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
Latest Stories

Malioboro

I landed back in Indonesia a few days ago, and I decided to go to Yogyakarta or Jogja, for short. It's one of the most developed cities in Indonesia located in Java island. I spent my college years in this very city, and there are so many strings that tie me to this place. I left this city some years ago, after I graduated. In the past years after I moved out from here I visited back a few times. It's funny that when I came back, there are so many nooks and cranny of the streets that feel like a stranger to me even though I passed them thousand times before. 

On my second day, my friend and I decided to take a walk in Malioboro. If you ever been to Bali, Malioboro is the Kuta of Jogja. The streets full of stalls and stores that sell cloths and street food, the aisles inhabited by hostels and cafes. Back then I wasn't very pleased to go to this place as it's almost always so crowded and the traffic could be very annoying (I still do actually), but there are times like this sometimes when the street is not so busy and you can enjoy your walk along this area. And as I walked down the aisle of stalls and stores there, I was washed by a good wave of familiarity. I knew this place and it recognized me.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a rich and layered place with so much to see! Thank you for taking us along with you on this journey as I have never been here before. Wishing you all lovely things! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty pictures! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh god, this makes me miss SE Asia sooooo much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I feel the same way when I'm back in the city I lived right after college. We were back there this past weekend and some parts seemed so unfamiliar even though I had walked it or passed it so many times. Funny because I thought the place I left would stay the same while I change... perhaps that isn't the case after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an interesting place. i love reading about places where you have been and seeing pictures. thank you so much for sharing, Niken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I hadn't have read your explanation, I would have thought it was Bali (without all the lush green). Indonesia has such distinct colours. You can practically feel and hustle and bustle through your lens (and hear the scooters)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have such an amazing talent to capture the heart of those places! The pictures are wonderful and they make me feel like I'm right there with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too get annoyed with the hustle and bustle. Much better when it's quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to spend some time here! I like hustle bustle s o m e t I m e s....
    It's colorful and lively and I would live to buy a beautiful sarong.
    And have coffee and people watch. With you.
    I'm glad you went there again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really the quotation, at the beginning of the post!
    I like the noise, but probably at Waikiki..lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always happy to visit a city through your photos. Nice colors and beautiful atmospheres.

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.