SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
Latest Stories

On love and falling in love

One day my cousin and I, we were on a coffee shop and accidentally met some of his friends. One of his friends brought a friend who just moved in to Indonesia a few months ago. Her name is E. As time rolled by the conversation turned to love and marriage, led by the previous subject of my cousin's recent divorce. 

Then E told us that she can only marry the man of her parents choice. There are some reasons in her family that make her cannot do some certain things, and she is expected to conduct in some certain ways. She told me sure she can elope, but that will do no good for her family. She also told us that she always works outside her homeland. I asked her what if she meet someone on the way and fall in love. Then, she answered confidently, "That's not possible. I have a very good self defence. Love can't hurt me."

Love can't hurt me - she said.

I'm not a romantic person, but when I heard she said what she said in the tone that she used to say it to give the meaning behind it, I think she's very sick. To declare something like that you must have been traumatized or something. When she said it I felt like what it really meant is, that it's impossible for her to fall in love with anyone, that's why love cannot hurt her. I wonder if she realised it yet.

17 comments:

  1. Strange and sad words about love ... I hope she will change her mind one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is tragic... I hope she'll see things brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that if true love someday touches her heart that she might someday change her mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. she doesn't believe in love simply because she was raised to believe it can't exist... how could it in her world? it makes me feel so sorry for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like - put it mildly - she needs to learn MUCH MORE about life... Yeah, this is really sick oO'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if she will really feel that way when she meets somebody and it hits her. I mean, you can't really fight that. Pretty sad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing is to be aware of that some things could produce u the troubles with ur relatives (it doesn't matter if it is unreasonable or not), but it s completely different and serious if u really make urself believe in that. I don't blame her completelly, growing up in specific surrounding can unfortuantelly make people very narrow minded, i feel pity for her and still hope she would find her own way, still good but her own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, that's too bad! :( I suppose she is probably protecting herself because she knows falling in love will only bring problems to her family. I hope and pray that whoever her parents choose for her will be love so that she can learn that love is a great thing that you don't need to protect yourself from (and her family will be happy, too!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. sehr schöner Blog <3

    Ich mache gerade eine Blogvorstellung vielleicht hast du ja Lust mitzumachen. Hier geht es zu dem Post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is very sad , and very deep
    i hope for her she changes her mind
    love is pain , yes , but love is also the most beautifull thing

    RITA

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do know of friends in a similar situation as this lady here. Very interesting but at the end of the day it's her life to live.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, just imagining what must have happened to her that she would try to turn her back on the true meaning in life makes me so unbelievably sad.
    With all my heart I wish for her she'll get the chance to open her eyes one day.
    Thank you for sharing this, Niken!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there! Cute little blog you have here!
    S
    vividlyyours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart hurts for her :( I couldn't imagine my life without love. John has also given me the gift of my boys. The greatest love I've ever felt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds very naive. I don't think she's found love yet. I used to think the same way - I didn't date until I was 18 and even then, I didn't really "care" for the guys that I dated. I wasn't hurt when the relationships didn't work out. She's in for a really hard & painful awakening when she does find love...whether it be in a significant other, a family member, a close friend or her child/ren. She'll find it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like she's putting up a wall. Love might not hurt her but fear sure will.

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.