SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE

Sonder

I drove my bike passed the Balinese narrow alleyway under the rain around someone else's neighbourhood the other day. After 5 months, of traveling for work and spending time with family, I came back here. It's one of the things about Bali. The narrow alleyways. They are not all pretty with pavement, concrete blocks and yellow frangipani trees on each side. There are some and some are not. There are those that nestled between the paddy fields, with land and stones on the ground, strike-hard smell of roosters shits on some spots, neighbourhood pigs odor and snore and children voices in tune with babies cry. They are not always pretty on the eyes, but they are real. This is the Bali that I still can feel since way before I reached alcohol-allowed age. And of course, at the same time, Bali is pretty. It has changed so much and it's changing. But there are some touch of feelings and some smell of memories that stay the same. This is part of Bali that I've known for so long. 

6 comments:

  1. I really like how you write :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever you write about Bali, I feel as if it's the with my hometown in Langkawi. There's something special about that one place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really hope I can travel to Bali at some point in my life! Have a good week, Niken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a story to tell. A real one, with sights, some pretty, some not. The scent and smells of everyday living, wafting through opened doors of coffee houses, of animals and children in backyards and alleyways. And sweet noise and cries and loud voices and laughter. Sonder.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I prefer the real Bali than the touristy side of it. Great pic of the raindrops

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seem very thoughtful in your past few posts, Niken. I imagine lots of travelling and moving will do that to a person. I would love to explore Bali, backstreets and all. That's where the real stories are to be found. Your photography and storytelling is beautiful, as always :)

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.