SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE

Half a nomad

A few weeks ago, I really learned about the weigh that things can contain. Until a year and a half time ago, before I decided to get my own place, I always had this one rule of living. That I cannot have belongings more than my 45 lt carrier and one backpack could bring. I always moved around from time to time, following where the film production took me. I could live in one place for 3 days or 3 months before I flew to other city, for other projects. One thing that I tolerated is book. I kept buying books no matter where I went. And when the pack of books was no longer fit in my backpack, I would ship it to my parents house where my mom stocked boxes of my books in their garage. 

A few weeks ago, I decided to get back to that minimalist life again. There are some changes happening that led me to take that decision again. To that nomad life again. My mom came to Bali and she helped me sorted out my stuffs. As we were sitting there, putting thing in a box, it got me thinking of the weigh that things can contain. Sometimes we get too attached to these stuffs. Stuck them in the corner of our place, even though we would never ever use it. 

I decluttered so many things that day. Got rid of so many stuffs. I only allowed my self to bring a luggage and a backpack. The other boxes of stuffs that I own which dominated by books and kitchen stuff were shipped to my parents house again. So I moved from a non-furnished rental to a semi-furnished one with one luggage and one backpack. 

When I got rid most of the things that I had - whether sell it, give it away or toss them in the trash, I sat on the floor thinking about the things that I would keep with me. Things that I should choose carefully because I only had one luggage to carry everything, and they better be things I necessarily need. It's not about the stuffs that I felt hard to let go. As I was sitting there on the floor with my mom beside me, I took a good amount of silence moment. Thinking how could I pack the last one year and a half of my life in one bag?

12 comments:

  1. Choosing stuff to keep or give away is one of life greatest struggle. (T__T)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so excited to see where it takes you friend! I am with you on living with less....I often go through our home once a week to bag things up that we don't use and drop them off at charity shops. Less is best and I am so glad you had your mom there to help you!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is really cool. We do get so attached to stuff and it's silly. Although a agree with you about books. Books are good to have :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One year and a half? Oh wow! Whatever your journey is, I wish you the best! :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could live live that. That's a difficult decision but surely a healthy one. :) Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like there are lots of changes in your life right now. Hope you are doing fine, Niken! I am decluttering myself right now. I piled up way too much stuff and it started to really bother me. I will never get rid of my books but there is so much other stuff that I don't need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Main Street Corner" has been included in our Sites To See #433. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2015/04/sites-to-see-433.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. i am not sure how i can pack a year and a half of my life in one bag. i used to keep a lot of stuff. but i learned how to get rid of things -- donating, selling, etc. i realized that i was tired of moving all this stuff from place to place (we were moving every year or two) and it just was so pointless. now i feel like we have gotten rid of a lot of unnecessary things. every year though i go back to the things that i kept and i realize that i still have my tendencies to want to keep and hold on. each year it's like shedding away and it actually feels really good. my husband though. he keeps everything. oh it drives me nuts sometimes. he even hordes cardboard boxes and other things he thinks will be useful in the future. i think he gets it from his mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Niken, first I just want to say it meant me a lot those nice words of yours and a comment that is not just to write something but the real connection. And related to that, I agree that no material things are those that can replace experiences, beautiful memories and real moments of chasing dreams, being courage and taking everyday life with everything that it brings. Thank u for being part of my non-material, precious things and connections in life. Hug xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds fantastic. I love a minimal lifestyle. and over the years, I've become so much more aware of what to buy, what to borrow, what I can live without. and aside from being good for my mind, I think it's good for our world too. it's a much more sustainable lifestyle than what this world thrives on these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you share your tips and takes on minimal living - i mean, for 'just enough living' and what you've learned along the way to become more aware on what to buy, what to borrow, what you can't live without???? i would be very interested to hear that! i am learning back again now. after a year and a half building a home, i found out the number of items one could have in a 32 meter square feet box.

      Delete
  11. I admire you. Everything in one bag... that is indeed impressive!

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.