SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
Latest Stories

A home that stays

Over the years of my life I've moved several times and lived in various kind of place that I'd like to call home. From my parents house, to the house I stayed in during college time, the production company temporary housings, hotel rooms, tents, hostels, homestays, and finally a rented place that I could call my home. Over the weekend I got caught with flu that I barely want to lift my head. The difference was I got curled up in the safety and comfort of the home that is my parents. When I finished my last film project, I decided to visit my parents. They just moved to other city from where I spent a big piece of my time growing up. The house that I knew and familiar with is no longer where they're staying. When I stepped in for the first time to their new house in their new city, it made me think a lot about a home. Because the moment I  was in, I didn't caught with a strange feeling. Instead, I instantly felt known. That the feeling of home didn't even weaken, just like every time I came to visit them before in the house where I grew up. 

In the morning, I could hear my mom in the kitchen. Even the cling and clang of brushed glasses and stainless steels that she uses sound familiar. The smell of the bread and coffee and milk that I can recall from the past. And then, I would hear my dad's voice from the living room reading a line or two from the morning news that he thinks interesting loud enough just before my brothers off the door. Through the years, I lived in countless different kind of housing settlement. In each one, I always prepared not to get too attached, because I know it's temporary. And I know that one day I will build my own home. The one that I will have without my parents that I've known my whole life. But I know that, no matter where or where, there will always be one place that will be my home. It's always here, and it's here to stay, and I'm always welcomed here.

14 comments:

  1. A very sweet post.. I can relate so much to that feeling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home sweet home. There's no better place in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fantastic. I absolutely love the feeling of home. :) It's priceless. Hope you are feeling better, Niken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my parents still live in the same place where I spent most of my childhood. it didn't feel like home then. doesn't feel like it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this truly hits home for me (no pun intended!). my blog is called tender roots bc i too am still moving and finding my forever home. i still visit my parents home regularly, but one day i'll have a home of my own. i've been renting some amazing places that feel cozy and lovely, but i know better than to get too attached. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully said. I love the feeling of being at my parents' house. I love living in a home of my own, but there is nothing like the feeling of your parents' home, whether it is where you grew up, or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's something to treasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I have always been of the opinion that home is an intangible location rather than a physical place. I believe home is where we "feel home" - we know it when we feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet post about "home". There is no better place to be if you have to have the flu. Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to have a place like that but I lost it. Feel better.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful is this friend! Just goes to show that it is the love that fills the home that makes it a home not the tangible structure. So glad that you were with your family when you were under the weather. I had that same flu and it was horrible. Be well friend and thank you for inspiring! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely can relate! I never thought I'd be that person who moved a lot, but it's really helped me to grow as a person. And appreciate my family more and more.

    Wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No matter the four walls being familiar or not. Old or new. Home is where the heart is!
    I felt such a warmness like, I too, was waking up in your parents house, smelling coffee and hearing your dad read the paper aloud! Love that.
    I'm glad you could land there, safe and sound under your parents' wings, when you were down with the flu bug.
    Enjoy your peace and quiet and reflection.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is so beautifully written. it is wonderful that you can still revisit these comforts.

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.