SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE

My keepsake

'Hope of a nation'
It's not the cloths that you buy. Nor the souvenirs that you bring home. When I travel, I barely spend money on such things. Instead, I spend it get places and experience. Once, in one country, we paid $45 for taxi that could mean a whole month salary for the local to get us to a remote village we wanted to see. It's the street food that we eat or the sugar cane drinks that we consume. It's the conversation we have with strangers and locals at breakfast time. It's the stories and pictures, and lessons that I get. And of course, it's the tan line that I get from sunburn. A reminder of 'been there, done that, survived' kind of thing, and I love it. 

p.s : I freaking love the above photo that I took of a child in market. 

16 comments:

  1. Well said!

    (Have a great weekend Niken :] )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photograph says it all, Niken! Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with the sentiment in this post. It's about the journey. And I LOVE that photo. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That child is adorable....what a sweetie! Gorgeous photo indeed! And such an important message in your post. We come home with rocks to add to our garden path so we know where we have been without spending money. Wishing you a wonderful weekend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I totally agree. It is all about experience not fancy things you bring home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's such a cool picture Niken! I would definitely have to agree with you, products will eventually break or wear out but memories and experiences will be with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said! I agree! And love the picture! Hope you are having a great weekend, Niken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing I allow myself to buy are the small cooking toolwares since I m trying to bring home some local recipes and something I m gonna use in the kitchen and being reminded of some particular travel. Beside that photographs, that s my beloved way (-: have a beautiful sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so with you. I don't buy any souvenirs either. I take lots of pictures though. and the one you took of the kid is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forget refrigerator magnets!! Mingling with the locals is where it's at!
    Ideas, wisdom, laughs, a touch. Those are the things worth bringing home. They stay in your heart.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. so so well said. and so very true. and i do love the photograph so much, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Travelling, there is nothing quite like it. I don't have career ambitions of big designs on life, but travelling is IT for me. Absolutely stunning picture you took!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i don't travel much, but I would rather spend money on actually doing something or on local food.
    and yes, that photo is stunning!

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.