SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
Latest Stories

Creative Process

A few weeks ago Jane tagged me on this blog hop to share about our creative process. One word that I always crave is inspiration. I love to hear and see how everyone else do it. I believe that everyone has their own creative outlets and the way they do their job. The prompt is even more interesting because we can use our own interpretation of 'creative process' - no matter what we do. Jane shared her take on bloggingActually I'm supposed to pass this tag to 3 other persons. But due to my work travel schedule for the past few weeks, I couldn't keep up.

What am I working on?
I'm a production manager/fixer/researcher for film production. Currently I'm working on distribution and marketing plan on a music documentary, about life stories of 3 street buskers in Jakarta over a tumultuous 5 years period of their lives. It's a bit different from what I usually do. Usually I'm involved in the pre-production, production and post-production process - from scratch to planning, budgeting, shooting, managing, etc etc etc, until the movie takes form. But in this project I've been working on a finished product, and think about what's next, what difference can we make from this film. So far we've had our theatrical release in Indonesia that lasted for 40 days. For a documentary film, it's a big deal. There's no documentary film that got into the theatre chain here in Indonesia before.  
Since the beginning, our team's (that consist of 4 people - including the director) goal is not to gain financial profits. If it does, it's just a bonus point. But we want to make a change and impact from what we do with this film. And we can say that we're proud this film has real impact, not just to the 3 main characters in this real life story, but also in Indonesia, especially Jakarta. A few months ago, we were invited by the Jakarta Deputy Governor at that time to screen our film with him and hundreds of Jakarta Government Office employees. After seeing the movie, the Deputy Governor changed some policies regarding the raid on street people and jail policies to treat them more humanely.  
Beside that, we also submitted to international and national film festivals, and so far we have a great feedback. If you'd like to watch the film, we'll be screened in Canada - Vancouver International Film Festival, Calgary Film Festival & Edmonton Film Festival by the end of this month. Also, in Margareth Mead Film Festival - NYC, USA.  
Aside from this music documentary, I'm also working on a movie script translation and some video production projects at the moment.
How does my work differ from others in it's genre?
For me it's my work attitude. What makes one work differs than others is the hand who creates it. I believe that if we are passionate and do our job sincerely, it will be shown in the result. In filmmaking, there's a process of creation during the making of the movie where we have to work and even live together under the same production roof with the same people for some time. Sometimes there are obstacles, arguments and hard decisions - which I think help me to be more mature. Our attitude, passion, sincerity and love of what we do will be clear to others during the whole production process. 
Through the years, I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to learn and to grow in this film world. There are so many lessons that I've got (and I haven't seen much, yet!) and those experiences made me grow. I've become more aware of what I want in my career. I want to work, to do the projects that in the 20 or 30 years from now, I can look back and still feeling proud that I've been a part of that projects.
Why do I write or create what I do?
I love what I do. Three years ago when I was still in college, I was working on an international tv show. It was a dream come true for me to get into the team. It was a very hectic, busy, high pace kind of production that I barely even had the chance to take a breath or just sit for 2 minutes - let alone sweep off my sweat. But during that production, I felt really happy. I realised that I feel like coming home when I'm working on it. That's how I feel about working on a film. Like coming home. 
There are so many times when I question my decision over something, but never have I ever questioned this thing that I do. No matter how hard or rough the situation on my career journey (trust me, it's not always butterflies and rainbows and it can hit you harder than hammer hitting nails), so far I've never thought about quitting. It's not just something that I do for a living, but it has become a part of who I am. 
How does my writing/creating process work?
In film production, there are some stages. To explain my creative process without long paragraphs, I made my board. Generally, without goes into so many details, it looks like this : 


In the pre production, we'll do research, interview and anything else necessary to develop the script or storyline. In this phase I usually go out or browse through the internet to find some inspiration. I like to find the inspiration from the other side of the pond. For example, if I work on a shoes company profile, I'll look through ads or company profile from restaurants, foods, or even music video clips. It makes me look at things differently. 
I'm curious, what do you do and how do you keep yourself inspired?

8 comments:

  1. this is actually very helpful thank u so much for sharing!
    I am a student pursuing a degree in film production.
    http://lifturbum.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting. thanks for sharing your work process. I hope to get to see your documentary at one point :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niken, I love this post. I always love to read about your work, it is so fascinating! And it is great to see how happy you are with your work! You are really making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're amazing! And that policy change through your documentary - incredible! Awesome awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you put up some links to some of your work/the productions you've worked on? It'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this very interesting post. You have a passionnant job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic! I have been loving the glimpses we got from your work and I dare say that I really admire your work. I love the passion.

    Another note, I believe your comment went through on my blog last week! Yay! ;)

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.