SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE

There are people with a bigger battle

The other day I went to a park. I saw a lot of elderly there. Working. Selling food or toys. As I looked at them I couldn't stop thinking 'where do they come home to?'. Do they have wife/husband and children who waiting for them with smile when they come back? Do they live in a good place? Do they make enough today to provide for their family? How many kids they have? Grandchildren? Do their kids care for them, or they are still working because no one is taking care of them?

It's been in my mind for a while. I've been through a turmoil cracks for quite some time that it's gotten me down for many many times before. But when I see something like this, it always reminds me that there are people who fight harder than me. Those people who don't have a morning coffee, a descent shelter. While I, on the other hand, can still afford a $5 Starbucks coffee, have a way better place to stay, going places, and so on and so on. It really makes me think.

Despite of everything that I've been through, I don't lose much. And it makes me ashamed of myself for those times that I let it take me down. While these people, and they're just a small number of example, have a bigger battle than me and they're still standing there. Making life. We all have more to be grateful for. More than we realise.

I feel so lucky that from time to time, when those obstacle taking too much of my thoughts, there's always a reminder for me that life is brutally just. Keith wrote about the exact same thought a few days ago, and he asked the ultimate question. "What does being thankful means to you?". For me, it's do the best I can with what I have and share. And I promised myself, that whenever the ebbs and flows coming around, I'll fight harder than before. Just like I always do.

13 comments:

  1. I love this post! Sometimes I takes things for granted when I should just be grateful! Where in Indonesia are you at? I was there this last summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niken, your pictures are perfect shots once again!
    And you are so right, whenever I want to start complaining about something I try to ask myself if it really matters and I try to be thankful for what I have. I think we can all get lost in our daily struggles - but it makes the difference when we are able to pause and remind ourselves that we have so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this a lot too when I see such people. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is all you can do - live your life and try not to have too much regrets, suppose, that's how I would do it. I'm always grateful I'm not out in the streets, especially during the winter season.

    hope you a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great perspective. This is one of the reasons I gave up my lattes from Starbucks in September! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i find myself in this frame of mind quite often. it's humbling to say the least. i love how you shared it through your words, and the images are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are a very thoughtful person. i don't think a lot of people stop to think of other's and their situations. i get like when i also see someone who is working odd jobs and i wonder how hard it must be but then i also think how awesome it is that they are working so hard.. either for people they love or for themselves.. people are really resilient... and seeing those strangers reinforces that for me and it makes me check myself too.. my privilege and also how i can be better. thanks for this lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are wonderful, Niken! When I am in a bad mood because of something unimportant then I always have to remind myself that my situation could be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is why ur writing was the first thing I noticed when visited ur blog for the first time. Thank u for that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful post, seriously. Your thoughts go absolutely wonderfully with these pictures. Just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. I often have the same thoughts about the people I come across, when I'm waiting at the bus stop or out & about. I love the quote "Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." Anytime I start feeling down about myself or life in general, I try to remind myself of all that I have to be grateful for. We all need those reminders.

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.