SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE

On things that life doesn't work that way

"Because life doesn't work that way. You can do everything perfectly. Do everything that you think you're supposed to be doing. Fulfill every expectation that other people may have. And you still won't get the result you think you deserve. Life is crazy and maddening and often makes no sense" 

- David Baldacci, One Summer


Jack Armstrong was lying on his death bed, helpless, as his illness took over. He inhaled greedily the air from the oxygen tank as it could help him spare another minute of his life. He just wanted to make it through til christmas. To gave his final goodbye, to savour a few more week, to look upon the faces of his wife and his three children a little bit longer. 

It was a fixation. His time on earth was about to meet its end. He wrote letters to his wife, about things that he didn't say often enough, about things and hopes he wanted his wife to carry on, and move on with her life after he died. But when an accident took his wife's life, everything changed. His kids was scattered, taken care by different family member, while Jack was put in a care house. He was supposed to be the one buried in the ground while his wife shed a tear or two. Not the other way around. Fate flipped his life. His illness miraculously cured and he got stronger. Once he thought he could manage himself, he started to gather his children and reunited their family. And so the journey of their new life begun.

David Baldacci is known for his crime fiction novels. I've read some of his novels and they're a page turner. When I found One Summer, I was wondering how it would be like. I'm touched by the first chapter of the book, when Baldacci introduced us to Armstrong family. How Jack laid in his bed and prayed for another day to rise for him, at least until christmas. 

One Summer tells a story about second chance life gives. Whether we would entailed by the past, or choose to move on while keep our gone loved ones dear in our heart. In the end, we deserve happiness. It's a light touching read. Life often doesn't make sense. It's unfair, but just at the same time?

5 comments:

  1. I checked this out from the library after you mentioned it to me before, but then I saw it at the store and purchased it. I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet (because of all the Song of Ice and Fire books!), but I plan to read it soon! Your review alone made me a little teary, so I bet the book will make me cry a lot! Great review!! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like an alright read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard about this book before but I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an awesome story! *adds to the ever growing list of things to read*

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds beautiful! I need to get and read it one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.