SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
Latest Stories

When I was a kid....I wanted to be a film maker : Erin from Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost


When I was a kid… I wanted to make movies.

In costume for Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in High School
Anyone who has read Niken’s blog will be familiar with the fact that she works in film / tv production.  She is doing in real life what I always dreamt of doing as a child.  I wanted to make movies. As far back as I can remember I had dreams about moving to Los Angeles and spending my days working on film sets.  I think I first got the idea when I visited New Zealand shortly after the filming of the first Lord of The Rings.  I could picture myself spending hours upon hours organizing, coordinating, and directing the world’s next blockbuster hit.
Going for some type of Esmerelda look I think.
I would go nowhere without my video camera and essentially lived my life from one production to the next.  My friends and I would run home from school to tape whatever random skit we may have come up with during the day.  We would steal clothes from our parents to make costumes and plaster makeup on our faces.  I even once convinced a guy friend to wear an old sparkly dress for a highly interpretive rendition of Aretha Franklin’s “Respect.” (The video evidence of this has not surprisingly disappeared over time.) As soon as I got into high school I started taking part in the school musicals and eventually found myself as the assistant director for three years.  This also led to me to writing my own scripts and I eventually taught myself how to use digital editing software.

 I really wish I knew what we were filming that required me to wear a sleeping bag and hold a potato!



Since then I’ve veered away from that path.  I decided that while I love making movies, I did not want to have to become dependent on them to make a living and would instead keep it as a hobby.  It had an amazing impact on my childhood.  From learning the way people can be presented in front of a camera to the way lighting can affect a shot, I truly learned a lot.  It also helped to really develop my writing skills, which is something that has taken precedence in my life today.  There is always the thought in the back of my mind that I may still end up in film, but for now it is just a lot of amazing memories from childhood! 
********************************
Hello there! That's my lovely friend Erin from Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost spilling out her childhood dream with us. Erin currently lives in Dublin, Ireland. If you stop by her place, don't forget to read her guidance to survive in Ireland. And in order to do that, you should know some Irish vocabs. So, go over her blog now!


Find previous "When I Was A Kid...." stories here.
If you'd like to participate and be featured in this serie, you can contact me here or leave your email address in your comment so I can reach you.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post, I really enjoyed reading! :D
    I'm following you now. :D If you want, you can find me on: http://the-wandering-heart.blogspot.com
    Lots of love! <3

    P.S: I'd love to ask you for a little help. It would mean a lot to me if you read my newest post and helped me out. Won't take more than five minutes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. being a film maker would be so incredible! i definitely want to have a career somewhere within the film industry. adore!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin is awesome. I already follow her blog! :)
    It is so much fun to read about people's childhoods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the pictures, going to check out her blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear, your blog is so beautiful and this series warms my heart. i would love to participate one day if you let me :)
    there is so much to say about being a child, about ones own childhood dreams. they remain my inner drive still. and i will make them come true, some more than others.

    so happy that you stop by my blog regularly, makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe :D nice blog
    maybe we can follow eatch other? http://amazing-beauty-case.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is quite inspiring! I love the name of her blog...I actually want that as a tattoo!

    ReplyDelete

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.